Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Maturity, and the beauty in "selling out"

Tonight I've been thinking about "giving people what they want". It's in many ways the opposite of what I've always done. I've always considered myself a rebel; mostly because I've had to be in order to achieve my goals. Lately though with a growing fan base that actually "wants" something from me my rebellious side has been saying to me "David, don't give them what they want …give them just the opposite and try prove to them that they'll still like it", haha. My last cover was a version of the song "Sex And Candy" by Marcy Playground, and though I'm sure a few of my fans love that grungy strange pop song just as much as me I'm also pretty sure most of them would much rather hear me sing (for instance) the classic ballad "I'll Be" by Edwin McCain.

Tonight's epiphany for me is that maybe "selling out" …also sometimes known as "giving people what they want" (instead of the mindset of "giving people whatever you want to give them") is actually the much more mature (in a good way) way of doing things.

I would never suggest that someone commit long term to doing something they hate in order to satisfy others, but I've realized that the dilemma I'm now facing is not that at all. You my fans/audience actually love MOST of the same things that I do, but as a complicated person with diverse taste in music you probably won't like all the same music that I do, and that's fine.

So a compromise must be made for the better good of the "brand" …and that's not a bad thing at all. It means both me and my audience/you are happier. I get to do more of what I love (which is sing beautiful melodic songs that are often about love or family), and you will be more satisfied and willing to support me knowing that I represent something that's also very important in your life as well, which is those themes of love, heartache, family, and the songs that best represent them for both of us.

Today I'm uploading a cover of "Danny's Song" by Kenny Loggins …it's exactly one of those songs about love and family that I'm sure we both love :)

16 comments:

  1. I like the grungy strange pop better :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Nice seeing you write something here again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ingrid! Great to hear from you :) ...Thanks for continuing to play my music on Mellow ...You Rock! :)

      PS: When I'm back in the Phils in Oct I've definitely gotta swing by the station for another in-studio. Miss seeing you :)

      Delete
  3. I like that you give me different things to try. ^^ Just so you know, I think the Sex and Candy cover was down right smashing. I'd love to hear more of it. But I am just a lowly fan and you are the captain of your musical career. That being said, I'm here for the ride and I may not always fall in love with where you take me but I sure as hell appreciate it.

    Be well and sorry for the ultra long-winded reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) ...happy to hear that you're hear for the RIDE! :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. as long as you know and like what you are doing, i don't really see anything wrong with "selling out." i see it merely as catering to people's wishes. i know sometimes the popular route may not always be the popular choice for artists who seek to be known for their own style. however, a true artist can bend whatever canvass they are given and make it their own. the opportunity to put your own stamp on a classic and give it justice is incredibly amazing, and so far you've done a great job. always remember that there is always a balance to everything, you can give the people what they want but never lose yourself while doing it. always tip the scales to your favor. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, and for your comment Rich :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. Because of this post, I found your video for "Danny's Song" and liked it so much that I shared it on Facebook. This is one of those times that I like your cover even better than the original, David.

    ReplyDelete