Monday, December 10, 2012

NEW ALBUM: Introduction

I've announced that I'll be putting out a new album on Star Records next year, but I haven't given any details about it yet. Well, here are a couple… :)

Most of you have probably heard the "I'm By Your Side" English version of "Hawak Kamay" that I wrote the lyrics to. Star Records heard it as well, and they loved it! They like it because it maybe for the first time gives a new voice to a now modern Tagalog/OPM classic, and even people who don't speak a word of Tagalog or aren't necessarily Filipino can now enjoy a "Filipino Song", and the melody and message of a great Filipino/Tagalog songwriter (Yeng). I'm also very proud of the song for the same reason.

I have to commend Star for their forward thinking regarding this concept, and for seeing the potential to bring Filipino music into the international mainstream, the same way K-pop has managed to do so with their music and videos. My goal over the past two years has been to break traditions within OPM and yet at the same time incorporate the languages and the feelings of Filipino music into my own music and collaborations. With this project I think we have a better chance than ever to do that.

So if you haven't guessed it by now my upcoming album on Star Records will be an "English Versions" album. I'm going to take my favorite classic Tagalog songs (songs that almost every Filipino knows by heart), and give them a complete makeover both lyrically (in English) and production wise (so that they feel progressive and modern). I hope at the same time to do justice to the original meaning & feeling of the songs, and I will use every bit of heart and talent within me to do so.

My goal for this album is that a young Filipino-American or Filipino-Canadian …etc. can drive in their car with their American friends and to proudly play an album of classic "Filipino Songs" yet every person in the car will be able to instantly enjoy the songs and start singing along. Or for an overseas Filipino mom to be able to share this album with her children that are growing up in a foreign country, and hearing these songs will encourage and get them excited about hearing the original versions in Tagalog and exploring their Filipino roots in a deeper way.

I thank you all for giving me this amazing opportunity to re-interpret classic songs that means so much to so many Filipinos, and I hope you're just as excited to hear these re-interpreted versions as I am to write them.

Love,

David

9 comments:

  1. DAVID! Thank you for the blog update! OMG. LOVE love love the concept for your new album, and I cannot wait to hear what that little creative head of yours comes up with! ;) How are you going to choose which OPM song to DiMuzi-nize?! Haha! I get 5% for that word! :p BRAVO to Star Records for recognizing your talent...They've got a gold mine on their hands! Thank you bunches for giving so much of yourself to your career and your fans! All the best to you!
    xo,
    jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I'm excited for you to hear them as well. I think I've just finished the first song. Picking which ones to try and translate was actually a major process. The final decision was up to me, but each song had to be currently owned by Star Songs publishing company and has to be a CLASSIC that every Filipino would know straight away. Making them sound good in English is actually extremely difficult, haha ...throughout writing this first one I've been thinking "what have I gotten myself into..." lol.

      Delete
  2. Hope Mikey will be included in Haharanahin Kita...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This album will be made up of all English translations of Classic Tagalog songs. I'd love for Mikey to sing on one, but unfortunately he can't because of his contract with GMA. Anyway, we'll do many more projects together. He's a great friend :)

      Delete
  3. Best of luck in your venture. May the music Muse be with you and guide you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll pray for the success of your album. I hope it will have an international release so that the world will kn0w about OPM. Mabuhay ka.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am loving your music and love that you've sang so many Filipino songs. I'm living in Texas now after 27 years in NJ. Originally from Cebu. Still have lots of friends and family there and know ablot of great musicians who can help you with Bisaya songs. One of them is Ricky Pineda. He also has some postings on Youtube. He has a Bisaya song there too. Good luck on your professional and personal life!

    ReplyDelete